There are many good reasons to reset the operating system. Perhaps you want to delete all the personal data on your Windows computer before selling it, the computer has been infected with a harmful virus while browsing the web and there is no other way to remove the virus, or the PC performance has deteriorated. decrease after years of use.
If you want to solve problems in Microsoft operating system, improve performance and delete files, you should reset Windows 7. Thewindowsfan will guide you how to do it in the following article.
What options do you have to reset Windows 7?
If you want to perform a reset and return Windows 7 to factory settings, you have several options. Deciding which option is best will depend on the results you’re looking for. Windows system allows you to reset without losing personal data to go back to factory settings or reset using download manager.
When performing a reset, you have the option to simply reset the system files or bring Windows back to predefined system restore points. These capabilities will come in handy if you want to restore the system to its old state. And finally, the system can also return to the state it was in when it was brand new (factory state). However, it also means that you will lose all your files and programs, unless you have backed them up. In the next section, the article will go through each of the above options in detail.
Microsoft ended official support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020. Technical support and security updates are no longer available for this product. Professional support for companies, at a separate cost, is an exception and will remain in effect until 2023.
If you’re not in this audience, you should switch to a newer version of Windows. You can learn more about this in the article: Things to do to “live well” on Windows 7 after this operating system is dead.
Reset Windows 7 from a previously created restore point
Pros: Fast operation, can retain data before creating restore point.
Cons: Had to create a restore point before.
The Windows 7 operating system can only be really reset by reinstalling it. Sometimes reinstallation cannot be avoided. Malware, hardware problems, or performance issues often require a full reset. At the same time, important files should be kept. In this case, the system and personal files can be backed up very easily using the tool provided by Windows.
Ideally, you should perform periodic backups so that the files you want are secure and you can refresh your operating system any time you need it. The reset using this backup tool works as follows:
1. How to create a Restore point to restore Windows 7
Normally, your Windows computer will automatically create restore points if you enable the System Restore feature. However, if you disable this feature, you will have to manually create a restore point every time you make changes that could lead to operating system failure.
To create a restore point, follow these steps:
Step 1: Click Start then select Control Panel.
Step 2: Go to System and Security.
Step 3: You click on System.
Step 4: Select System Protection in the left sidebar of the window.
Step 5a: In the System Properties window, select drive C then click Create in the “Create a restore point right now…” section.
Step 6a: You name the restore point (remember to enter the date for easy tracking) and then click Create. You wait a while for the system to finish creating the restore point.
2. Restore Windows 7 from a restore point
You follow steps 1 to 4 in part 1. Next, from step 5 you do the following:
Step 5b: In the System Properties window, click the System Restore button.
Step 6b: You click Next to continue.
Step 7: In this window, select the restore point that you feel is best and then click Next.
Step 8: You click Finish then wait for the system to automatically restore to the previous point.
- How to Connect a Bluetooth Device in Windows 7
Reset Windows 7 with download manager
Windows Media Creation Tool makes it possible to reset the operating system, but currently, it is only available for Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. If Windows 7 needs to be reset, you will need a download manager that works like Windows ISO Downloader.
The program may not be developed by Microsoft itself, but still uses officially licensed downloads from Microsoft. With the help of this tool you will create a copy of Windows 7 that can be transferred to a data carrier or opened using the VirtualBox installation.
Instructions to reset Windows 7 with ISO Downloader
1. Install Windows ISO Downloader.
2. On the Microsoft website, you can select the operating system version to download the ISO tool.
3. Download links will now be generated for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
4. Start the download.
5. Note that you need a license to use it, as it is legally downloaded via Microsoft.
To reset Windows 7, you still need to download and install the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. You now have everything you need to create installation/recovery media for Windows 7. To do this, proceed as follows:
1. Open the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool program.
2. You can then select the ISO file downloaded in the first step and click Next to continue.
3. Now, select a medium on which you want to save the ISO file. To do this, click on “USB device” or “DVD”.
4. Connect the corresponding storage media to the device and select “Begin copying”.
5. The storage media will now become bootable recovery media (plug in before turning on the computer). On boot, you can access the recreated version of Windows 7 on the media and initiate a system restore. This is especially useful if the operating system is so damaged that you can no longer boot Windows normally from the hard drive.
Factory reset Windows 7 – with or without installation disc
If you still have the original installation CD for Windows 7, just boot from the disc like this:
1. Open the boot menu when the computer boots – depending on the computer or BIOS version, use the F12, F8, DEL or ESC keys.
2. In the boot options, select the CD/DVD drive where the disc is stored.
3.Now, proceed with a complete Windows reinstall. To do this, follow the instructions on the installation CD.
4. The installation process may take some time.
If the manufacturer-saved Windows 7 settings are stored on your computer, you can also restore to factory settings without a CD by following these instructions.
1. Select the “System and Security” category in Control Panel.
2. Under “Backup and restore” you can find “Recover system settings on your computer”.
Then click on “Advanced recovery settings”.
3. Then you need to click on “Return your computer to factory condition”.
4. Reset the computer according to the instructions.
If you factory reset Windows 7, all personal files will be lost.
This method does not work if the option “Return your computer to factory condition” does not appear. In this case, you can reset it in recovery mode. The following steps are also needed:
1. Reboot in recovery mode: When you reboot, you’ll get information on how to access the mode at the bottom of the screen – typically using the F- key like F11 or F9.
2. In recovery mode, use the arrow buttons to select the “Recovery” option.
3. Now click “Next”, confirm by clicking “Next” again and if possible, disconnect the keyboard and mouse from the computer.
4. After that, the factory settings will begin to be restored.
Factory reset from recovery partition
Some computers may have a recovery partition that allows users to restore the system to its default factory settings. Follow the instructions below to see how:
1. On the keyboard, press the key with the Windows logo and the E key at the same time to open File Explorer.
2. Right-click Computer, then select Manage.
3. Click Storage, then Disk Management.
4. Check if you have a recovery partition on your computer.
Note: If you found the recovery partition, follow the instructions below. If you don’t have a recovery partition, go to another method
5. Turn off the computer, then disconnect all peripherals from the computer (except the monitor, keyboard, and mouse).
6. Press the power button to turn on the computer, then, before the Windows logo appears, repeatedly press the recovery key on the keyboard.
Note: The recovery key may vary from machine to machine. Here’s how to access the recovery partition for the most popular brands:
|Acer||F10 or Alt + F10 or Ctrl + F|
|Dell||Ctrl + F11|
|IBM – Lenovo||F11|
|Sony Vaio||F8 or F10|
|Toshiba||F8 or F0|
Note: If you cannot find the corresponding function key for your computer, refer to the computer manufacturer’s website for more information.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions to reset the computer.
Restore factory settings for Dell Windows 7 laptops
Follow the steps below:
1. First, back up your computer, save all important files and documents to an external hard drive. If you factory reset your Windows 7 laptop, all personal data will be erased from your computer.
2. Turn off the laptop properly and disconnect all peripheral devices such as printers, scanners, network and USB cables, etc.
3. Power on the laptop by pressing the power button and repeatedly pressing F8 until the Dell logo appears on the screen. Now, you will see the Advanced Boot Options menu. If the Advanced Boot Options menu does not appear, restart the computer and repeat the above process.
4. After opening the Advanced Boot Options menu, using the arrow keys on your keyboard, select the “Repair Your Computer” option, and then press the Enter button. This will open the System Recovery Options menu.
5. After clicking the “Repair your Computer” option, choose a keyboard layout and click the Next button.
6. Now, login as admin or local user and click OK button.
7. You will see two options. Now, select “Dell Factory Image Restore” or “Dell Factory Tools” and then click the Next button.
8. This is the Confirm Data Delete menu. Select the option Yes, reformat the hard drive and restore system software to factory condition and click the Next button.
9. Now, Windows 7 is doing a factory reset. The process will take some time to complete. Once setup is complete, you’ll see a message that the computer has been restored to its factory-fresh condition.
10. Click the Finish button and the laptop will reboot.
Restore factory settings for HP laptops running Windows 7
Follow the steps below:
1. Repeat the above two steps of the Dell Windows 7 laptop factory reset method above. Back up the computer, turn off the laptop properly, and disconnect all peripheral devices such as printers, scanners, network cables, USB, etc.
2. Now, power on the laptop by clicking the power button. Click on the Start menu. If you find any problems during Windows startup and cannot click on the Start menu, restart the computer and immediately press the F11 key repeatedly. Now, your computer is opening the Recovery Manager window.
3. After clicking the Start menu, click the All Programs button and then select Recovery Manager.
4. Now, click on the Recovery Manager option, you will be asked to enter the admin password. Enter the admin password and continue.
5. Now, the User Account Control window will ask if you want the program to make changes to your computer, select Yes. The Recovery Manager window will appear on the screen.
6. Trên cửa sổ Recovery Manager, chọn tùy chọn System Recovery trong phần I need help immediately.
7. After clicking System Recovery, a new window will appear and ask if you want the computer restored to its original factory condition. Select Yes, and then click the Next button. Now, the computer will restart and you will see the Recovery Manager window on the screen again.
8. Click the System Recovery button and then click Recover without backing up your files.
9. Now, click the OK button to confirm that you want to factory reset and then click the Finish button.
10. Now, the factory reset process for HP Windows 7 laptop is complete.
Hope you are succesful.