When you try to install an update via the Windows Update channel on your Windows 10 computer, error 0x80d06802 may appear. Here is the error message in full, verbatim:
There were problems installing some updates but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: Error 0x80d06802.
This article tells you how to fix error 0x80d06802 during Windows Update installation.
Fix error 0x80d06802 when installing Windows updates
Step 1 – Correct the date and time on the computer
1. Click Start > Settings, and then click Time & Language.
2. Enable the options, namely Set time automatically and Set time zone automatically.
3. Make sure that the time and time zone are set correctly.
Step 2 – Reset and repair Windows Update components
Implement these troubleshooting methods:
- Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Remove the SoftwareDistribution folder and rename the Catroot2 folder.
The SoftwareDistribution folder is where updates are temporarily stored. Occasionally, removing the contents of the SoftwareDistributionDownload folder can help. To do so, follow these steps:
1. Open a Command Prompt window with admin rights.
2. Type the following commands one at a time and press
ENTER after each line:
net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop appidsvc net stop cryptsvc
This temporarily stops Windows Update, Application Identity, and Cryptographic Services.
3. Open File Explorer and navigate to the following folder:
4. Select all the items in that folder and delete them. However, as a general rule, you should only delete files older than 10 days in that folder.
5. Switch to the Command Prompt (Admin) window.
6. Type the following commands one at a time and press
ENTER after each line:
ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old net start bits net start wuauserv net start appidsvc net start cryptsvc
7. Restart Windows and see if you can install Windows Updates now.
- Repair Windows Update by running DISM (for Windows 10/8) or the System Update Readiness (Checksur) tool for Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
If nothing helps, try the comprehensive Windows Update reset process.
We hope this helps fix error 0x80d06802 during Windows Update installation on your Windows 10 computer.