Do you frequently see a Windows Script Host problem on your Windows 10 computer? Relax; there’s probably no malware infection involved (although it looks a lot like it). Thankfully, Windows Script Host problems are not too difficult to fix. Simply carry out the instructions in this Thewindowsfan article.
What does the Windows Script Host do?
Windows Script Host, abbreviated as WSH, is actually a Microsoft technology. It is designed for computer administrators to automate and manage some tasks for clients (or servers).
Scripting capabilities comparable to batch files are included with Windows Script Host. One of the most obvious features is that it is language-independent. That means the host can work with many different Active Scripting language tools.
In general, Windows Script Host provides an environment for Windows users to execute scripts in different languages and will perform tasks through various object models.
Common Windows Script Host error messages
When Windows Script Host execution fails, you can encounter an error similar to one of the ones listed below.
Case 1: Windows Script Host Access Is Disabled on This Machine
You may see the error message “Windows Script Host access is disabled on this machine, Contact your administrator for details”.
Apparently, the error appeared because you lost access to the Windows Script Host on your current machine.
- The error notice advises you to contact your administrator for assistance if you are using another person’s computer.
- To restore access, you can use the techniques described in the next section if you are using your own computer.
Case 2: Windows Script Host Can Not Find Script File
Windows Script Host says Can not find script file “C:UsersPublicLibrariesChecks.vbs” (the file location is not fixed) – which mean cannot find script file “C:UsersPublicLibrariesChecks.vbs” (file location is not fixed). This “Can not find script file” error occurs when a certain script file that the system currently needs has been corrupted or lost. In theory, you could restore/repair the script file needed to fix the Windows Script Host could not find the script file.
Additionally, you may also sometimes receive the Can’t find script engine “VBScript” for script error message.
Case 3: Windows Script Host The System Cannot Find the File Specified
The Windows Script Host window may also display the message: The system cannot find the file specified.
Similarly, this error occurs when the system cannot find a certain script file (*.vbs).
In addition to the error messages access refused, script file not found, and the system cannot find the specified file mentioned above, the following error messages may also appear:
- Not enough storage
- Not enough memory
- Blocked by group policy
- The parameter is incorrect
Why does Windows Script Host problem happen?
Windows Script Host is a technology developed by Microsoft. It was created to help system administrators automate certain tasks. However, this Windows Script Host is also known to cause errors. The worst part is that this error can start happening even on a brand new computer for no apparent reason. However, in most cases, Windows Script Host errors are caused by one of the following reasons:
- VBS script is broken
- Windows registry problems
- Internet Explorer problems
The three most frequent causes of Windows Script Host errors on Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 are as follows:
– Virus or Malware: Virus or malware on Windows Script Host has been shown to be the main cause of this error. Viruses/malware can attack the system and infect important system files with malicious code. In this case, you must completely remove the virus in time. Otherwise, it can delete valuable files or partitions and even damage the system.
– Corrupt VBS script file: VBS script refers to a file that contains VBScript or Visual Basic Scripting code. If the file has problem, the Windows Script Host error will appear on your computer at any time.
– Error in the registry: This kind of error frequently occurs when you install new programs over existing ones. Programs will open more slowly as a result, and the system may even crash unexpectedly. Before beginning to install new apps, you should completely uninstall any existing ones to prevent this.
Let’s now examine some potential solutions for each of these problems.
- How to fix Outlook error 0X800408FC on Windows 10
How to fix Windows Script Host error easily
Select 1: Edit VBS Script file
The.VBS file’s default values should be restored as soon as possible. Before altering the Registry, make sure you have a complete backup of your computer because this is done through the Registry Editor.
- A complete set of how to use all the backup and restore tools on Windows 10
1. Open the Registry Editor (type regedit in the search box and open the results you need), and then go to ComputerHKEY_CLASSES_ROOTVBS.
2. On the right panel, double click Default and change Value Data to VBSfile.
3. Click OK and restart the computer. Everything will be back to normal
Select 2: Repair Registry
Although the fix above is related to the Registry, other Registry problems can also lead to multiple Windows Script Host error windows appearing. The easiest way to do that is to run a reliable Registry repair tool and let it fix all the problems it can find.
Select 3: Repair Internet Explorer
If you are using Internet Explorer and getting Windows Script Host problems, take the following actions:
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools button, then select Internet Options.
3. Click the Advanced tab, select the Disable script debugging Internet Explorer and Disable script debugging (Other) check boxes.
4. Uncheck the checkbox Display a notification about every script error, then click OK.
Select 4: Remove malware
If you suspect that the error is caused by malware, run a reliable anti-malware program. If the tool finds anything, let it isolate and remove the virus, then see if the error goes away.
Reference: 11 most effective antivirus software for Windows to find the right choice for you.
How to disable Windows Script Host in Windows 10
According to the report, some HTML malware will use WSH objects. Therefore, Windows users who don’t need this feature will want to turn it off.
How to disable Windows Script Host pop-up windows
1. Open the Run dialog box.
2. Type regedit and click on OK botton.
3. In User Account Control, click Yes to access Registry Editor.
4. In HKEY CURRENT USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindows Script HostSettings, look for the Enabled value. (If this value isn’t already there, create it.)
5. Double-click Enabled from the right pane.
6. Set Value data to 0.
7. Click the OK button to confirm.
8. Exit Registry Editor.
Tip: Use Registry Editor to create the item if it doesn’t already exist on your PC. Next, modify Value data to 1 and save the modifications.
Please note that you will not be able to run any scripts using WSH after disabling it (including VBScript and JScript scripts).
How to re-enable Windows Script Host? It’s very simple, you just need to delete the Enabled key in the Registry Editor.
Windows Script Host Error FAQ
What does Windows Script Host mean?
Windows Scripting Host was the previous name for Windows Script Host. It is an automation technology that offers Windows operating system users a platform to run scripts written in a variety of languages that will carry out operations using a variety of object models.
How to get rid of the Windows Script Host pop-up?
Step 1: Open Run dialog box by pressing Windows key + R.
Step 2: Type regedit and click on OK button.
Step 3: Go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindows Script HostSettings
Bước 4: Create a new REG_DWORD key and name it as Enabled
Bước 5: Change the value to 0.
Bước 6: Do the same thing in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindows Script HostSettings.
What is a script error on a computer?
Is wscript.exe a virus?
Obviously not. Actually, Wscript.exe is a file from the Microsoft Windows operating system (located in C:WindowsSystem32). It is a dependable piece of Windows software that runs VBScript files on the system.
Obviously, Windows Script Host is an application built into Windows to run VBScript programs. The Windows Script Host error may show up immediately, after booting or while you are running a Windows computer. If you see a Windows Script Host access is disabled error on your computer, remember, do two things right away:
Ensure data security by backing up files or recovering all lost data.
Try to fix Windows Script Host errors (access denied, script file cannot be found, etc.) by using the methods mentioned in this article.
Good luck with your troubleshooting!