Right after launching the Windows 10 operating system to the market, Microsoft promises to bring users many upgraded features, giving you a more unique experience when using this new version of Windows 10. To be able to upgrade to Win 10, we can use the .ISO download file or upgrade directly from the Internet. However, in the case of an Internet upgrade, there will be no .ISO file. Therefore, the most effective and stable upgrade option is to download the .ISO file. This is also the method of upgrading to Windows 10 that we guide you through in the article below:
- We would like to make it clear here that it only applies to Windows 7 and Windows 8 or 8.1.
- The version of Windows you are using has already been activated, no matter what method you use to activate it, as long as it is activated.
- Do not turn off the Windows Update feature (read more instructions on how to turn off Windows Update).
3 things you need to do before upgrading to Windows 10
1. Create a Windows recovery drive
The first thing you should do before updating Windows is to create a Windows recovery drive on your PC. It can be a bootable USB or CD/DVD.
A Windows Recovery Drive can help you quickly restore your Windows system to a secure state if you encounter problems while upgrading your operating system.
If you require assistance, consult the following articles: Windows 8 system recovery drive creation instructions and Windows system recovery instructions.
2. Data backup
Many users have encountered the error of losing files or deleting files when installing new Windows 10 updates. It is very important to make a backup of necessary data and valuable files on the PC on an external storage device before updating Windows 10 or any Windows OS operating system.
Reference: 6 safe ways to backup and restore data on Windows 7 and Windows 8.
3. Make sure the system has enough disk space
If the system drive is too small to accommodate the installation of a new version of Windows, users may occasionally experience problems when updating Windows.
To ensure a smooth Windows update process, it’s also important to make sure that the system drive has enough disk space.
Please refer to how to extend system C drive for help instructions if you don’t know how to do it.
Plus, if you have unallocated space right behind your system C drive, you can also use Disk Management to increase system drive space.
Check Windows version and copyright
To be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the current operating system that you are using (Win 7, Win 8, or Win 8.1) needs to have a license activated.
Step 1: In My Computer or This PC, right-click and select Properties.
Step 2: System window appears.
Important information such as the version of Windows 7 Professional 32 in use, the operating system System type: 32-bit Operation System, and whether Windows is activated copyright for the computer will be available here.
Note: For machines that have not been activated, you must activate the license to perform the next steps.
Method 1: Update to Windows 10 using MediaCreationTool
This Media Creation Tool helps you download ISO files directly from Microsoft without having to search for clean ISO files yourself.
- Dowload Media Creation Tool
- find MediaCreationTool file, double-click on it to run
- Click Accept to agree to Microsoft’s terms
- Click Next to continue or Change what to keep to change the settings
- If you choose Change what to keep, the next screen will look like this:
– Keep personal files and apps: Keep all files and apps that you have installed.
– Keep personal files only: Only keep files.
– Nothing: Removes everything, including settings.
- When clicking Next will return to the screen above. Click Install to start the installation. Your computer will reboot a few times as the installer works, and when it’s done, you’ll be returned to the Windows login screen.
Method 2: Upgrade to Windows 10 with an ISO file
1. Download the Windows 10 installation .ISO file
Step 1: Choose the right version of Windows 10
First of all, you need to select the version of Windows 10 that matches the version of Windows you are using and has the same bit number as the version of Windows. In this case, because the computer is running 32-bit Windows 7 Professional, it will download the 32-bit version of Windows 10 Pro.
You follow the tutorial Do you already have a way to download the ISO file of Windows 10 from Microsoft? to download the .ISO file to your computer.
Step 2: Rename .ISO file
After you have downloaded the .ISO file, rename the file to the name of the Windows 10 version, such as Windows 10 Pro 32-bit, and move it to the drive on your computer for easy management.
2. Open .ISO file with a virtual drive
– With Windows 8/8.1, we just need to double-click the Windows 10 installation .ISO file lets the computer create a drive in My Computer.
– Download and install the Virtual Clone Drive software on your computer using the link below if you are using Windows 7.
- Download Virtual Clone Drive software
Virtual Clone drive is installed simply and quickly, without any third-party software or virus programs.
After successfully installing the software, click on the .ISO file and select Open with and then select Mount Files With Virtual Clone Drive.
Note: if you do not see this option, please restart the computer to be able to continue.
Right after that, you go to My Computer and you will see a virtual drive like Windows 8 or 8.1.
3. Instructions to upgrade Windows 10 from Windows 7/8/8.1
Note: Before upgrading the operating system, please turn off the Internet or WiFi connection.
Step 1: Search setup file
Open the virtual drive you just created above on My Computer. Find and open the setup file to install.
Step 2: Install Windows 10
The Windows setup window appears; select Not right now, uncheck I want to help make the installation of Windows better and click Next.
If the computer starts to enter the activation code, it is because the computer has not been activated or downloaded the wrong version of the Windows installation .ISO file corresponds to the operating system in use. You need to activate the computer or reload the .ISO file for the standard.
Next, we click Accept.
Here, you click Change What to keep to enter the settings.
Step 3: Options when installing Windows 10
Next, there will be 3 options for users to choose from, according to the purpose of use.
- Keep personal fles, apps, and Windows settings:Keep all files and programs present on the old operating system. However, these programs can conflict with Windows 10 and lead to errors, forcing antivirus software to be removed before choosing this option.
- Keeps personal files only: Keep all files on the C drive, but delete all programs on the old operating system.
- Nothing: Delete all files and programs on the old Windows and install the new Windows 10 completely.
Immediately after installing the C drive with all 3 options, the Windows.old file containing the old operating system will appear. After completing the upgrade, we can follow the tutorial How to delete the Windows.old folder on Windows 10. In addition, you can also refer to the article: How to delete the Windows.old folder on Windows 7/8/8.1?
We will choose the first option Keep personal files, apps, and Windows settings. Then click Next:
Step 4: Start upgrading to Windows 10
Then we choose Install to proceed with the installation.
The next thing is to wait for the computer to complete the installation.
The installation process will go through 3 stages: Copying files, Installing features and drivers; and Configuring settings. The computer will restart about 3-4 times, so please wait patiently.
Step 5: Setting options on Windows
This next action will be the difference between the 3 options above.
– If you click Keep personal files, apps, and Windows settings and Keeps personal files only:
- A new window appears asking you to enter the old Windows account password. If not, leave it blank and click Next.
- Select Use Express settings.
- Then select Next.
- Finally, you just need to wait for the installation process to complete, and then you can use the computer with the Windows 10 version installed.
– If you choose Nothing
- In the new window, fill in the fields as shown below. What time zone are you in? To select the Vietnam time zone, select (UTC +07:00) Bangkok, Hanoi, or Jakata. Once selected, click Next.
- If your computer has Wifi, there will be a message as shown below. If there is no Wifi, it will not show up. Here you choose Skip this step.
- Click Use Express settings.
- In the account creation section, the first box is the account name, the second box is where you enter the password, the third box is where you re-enter the password; the fourth box is filled in with the password hint; and this line will show up when you create an account. Enter the wrong password when logging in to the computer. If you do not want to set a password, you can leave fields 2, 3, and 4 blank. Then you choose Next.
- Finally, we wait for the installation process to complete the Windows 10 version similar to the one selected above.
Wishing you success!