Changing the wallpaper in Windows 11 is one of the best ways to customize the desktop. Adding a new wallpaper to your desktop is like redecorating your room, and a visually appealing wallpaper will help make your Windows 11 PC shine.
There are different ways you can change the desktop background in Windows 11. Windows 11’s Settings, Photos, and File Explorer apps have alternative options for changing the background. You can also apply wallpaper changes using third-party software. Here are some methods to change Windows desktop wallpaper
Change wallpaper by choosing new Windows theme
Different Windows desktop themes have unique backgrounds and color schemes. So, choosing a different desktop theme is also a way to change the wallpaper. You can change the theme in Windows through Settings as follows:
1. Open Settings window.
2. Select Personalization > Themes to open the settings shown directly below.
3. Click Custom to see the default themes included with Windows 11.
4. Choose a theme there with a different background image than your current wallpaper.
You can add a new theme wallpaper to Windows by clicking Browse themes. Select a theme in the MS Store. Click Get on the theme’s page and select the Open button to add the theme. You can then select the theme in Settings. Then your screen will change to the theme’s wallpaper.
Change your desktop wallpaper with File Explorer
File Explorer includes a “Set as background” option, which allows you to add the selected image file to the background of your desktop without opening Settings. Here’s how you can change the background image of your desktop using Explorer.
1. To open File Explorer, press Win + E or click the folder icon on the taskbar.
2. Open a folder of images where you can change the background image.
3. Select a file for the image to add to the screen.
4. Click the Set as background button to change the background image.
Change wallpaper through the context menu
The File Explorer context menu also includes the Set as background option. If you right-click a file in a folder, you can select that option. You can also right-click the image file on the desktop and select the Set as background option on the context menu to change the background image.
Change wallpaper with the Photos app
Photos is Windows 11’s default image viewer. That app includes two options that you can choose from to add the pictures you open in it to your desktop or lock screen.
The following are the steps for changing the desktop background using the Photos app:
1. Open the Start menu and click the Photos app that’s pinned there.
2. Scroll through your saved images in Photos to find and select your desktop wallpaper there.
3. Click the See more button on the Photos toolbar.
4. Select Set as, a submenu.
5. Then click the Set as background option to change the background image for the selected photo.
Change your wallpaper with Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome
Most users will browse the World Wide Web to find new desktop wallpapers. Instead of saving the image, you can change the Windows 11 desktop background directly in Firefox. This browser includes a handy “Set Image as Desktop Background” option that you can choose to change the wallpaper in Windows 11.
Using Firefox, follow these steps to change your desktop background:
1.If you don’t have Firefox installed, get Firefox. Then, open and cycle through the steps in Firefox’s setup wizard to install the software.
2. Open the Firefox browser.
3. Type www.google.com in Firefox’s URL bar and press Enter.
4. Click Images in Google.
5. Type a keyword in the Google search box to find the right image.
6. Right-click the image to change the Windows wallpaper to the one in the search results and select Set Image as Desktop Background.
Google Chrome lacks a built-in context menu option for setting an image as the desktop background. However, you can add a similar option to Chrome with the “Set as desktop background” extension. To do so, follow these steps:
1. Open the Chrome Web Store page of the utility “Set as desktop background”.
2. Click the Add to Chrome option to install the extension.
3. Click Add extension button.
4. Open the Google search engine and enter a keyword there.
5. Select Images to see thumbnails of images.
6. Right-click the image thumbnail and select the new Set as desktop background option on Chrome’s context menu.
Change Windows 11 wallpaper with a dedicated app
There are many desktop applications that help change the wallpaper for Windows 11. Some of them allow you to select multiple wallpapers to change. Other options automatically change your desktop wallpaper based on a specific source, such as Bing or Unsplash.
You can change your desktop wallpaper with:
- Bing Wallpaper
- Wallpaper Studio 10
- 9Zen Wallpaper Changer
- Splash! – Unsplash Wallpaper App
The Bing search tool can bring up great desktop wallpapers, as it allows you to set the search tool’s background image as your own.
Why use the default Windows 11 wallpaper when you can add something much more interesting to your desktop? There are many Web sources from which you can download visually appealing wallpapers. With all the methods above, it’s simple to change the desktop wallpaper in Windows 11. Choose whichever method you prefer to change your desktop background.